Faster Masters Rowing Radio 8 December 2020
Marlene and Rebecca tackle
– exercises to improve finger and forearm strength
– how to build aerobic base while training for the CrashBs
Rowing Retailer Directory – every rowing business listed and categorised for YOU. Find what you want from oars to gifts, from coaching to ergs.
Timestamps to the show
04:00 Marlene is presenting at the US Rowing Convention on Training for Life
10:20 Exercises for fingers and forearm strength. Things to get right first
– handle grip size – get the correct size for your hands
– Initiate the turning movement don’t turn the full 90 degrees as you square and feather. If you get to 45 degrees, the oar will continue to turn under gravity
– 3 With your fingers make sure the back of your hand and wrist never falls underneath the handle. Because you need downward pressure on the handle to help roll the oar
– Check your boat set-up. Are you able to achieve the correct static positions at the finish?
15:00 Curling the fingers and knuckles exercise. Your extensor muscles aren’t strong. Flexor muscles are 4-6 times stronger. They are meant to grip and so get worked more than extensors.
Elastic band for strengthening the intrinsic muscles in your hand.
Wrist strength – take a small weight in your hand. It’s important to stabilise your forearm. Hold your wrist over the end of a table and flex up and down and side to side.
String on a dowel rod – roll it up and down with a 2-3 lb weight on the end.
19:00 If you have osteoarthritis – don’t push yourself into inflammation and swelling with your rowing practice. Don’t use your thumb to apply internal pressure on the oarlock either if you have osteo.
20:00 How tight should you hold the handles? As if you’re holding a kitten, puppy or a small bird.
23:00 If your forearms wake you up at night feeling restless. You should stretch them.
Do the “Karate Chop” drill on the recovery and Open Palm Sculling drill.
26:00 Trigger finger syndrome can be developed from rowing. The anular ligaments get pulled and swelling happens in the tendons.
28:00 How to train for both speed and endurance simultaneously. If you are doing CRASH-Bs erg race in March and enter the 30 minute and the 500m sprint event.
Follow the Faster Masters Rowing training plan first and foremost – pick the 1k racing plan. If you have extra time include a 40 minute low intensity row or aerobic cross training session.
32:30 Keep the group together – over the holidays stay in touch with your crew mates and become accountability partners. Community matters in masters rowing.