Faster Masters Rowing Radio April 2019
Marlene Royle and Rebecca Caroe discuss language in coaching and how to be more specific in what you say; our pet peeves for coaches – what drives us crazy and how to get the most out of going on a rowing camp.
Timestamps to the show
0:00 Royle Row camps are happening at Florida Rowing Center during April
02:00 Training side by side is a great early season aide to steering and getting used to having a crew alongside
04:00 Language in rowing coaching – be specific. Tell the athlete HOW to do it not just WHAT you want done.
08:00 Geographical reference points in the rowing stroke. When the principles are in place, the flaws go away.
13:00 Pet peeves in coaching –
- Stick near the launch if you want coaching, don’t turkey off into the distance and then complain.
- Turn up on time.
- Emphasising upper body reach for length instead of compression.
- Stay “long” which tends to make the athlete lay back too far versus a focus on keeping the pressure on the blade longer.
- A focus on early roll up when there are bigger issues like posture, sequencing and stability for the athlete to get.
- You need to be on time at the blade entry, not exceptionally early.
- Defining “layback” of degrees and considering it “length” versus being part of the swing and knowing when you lose suspension.
19:00 Getting the most out of camps
- Take notes – write down exact key words that helped you
- Have fun, experiment and try new things to make comfort in your boat
- Prepare ahead of time by doing some extra rowing and stretching
- Get enough rest between sessions, stretch often
- Focus on one thing at a time, watch the demonstrations, record / film the explanations on your phone
- Ask questions if you are not clear about something a coach says
- Be open to video feedback, coaches aim to be constructive (!)
- You are learning ew skills so there is a process involved
27:00 After camp learning – the process continues
- Refer to your notes for drills or key words
- Work on one thing at a time
- Each day pick one point or drill to focus on
- Blend any drill into your regular rowing
That’s all for this month – remember to register at www.fastermastersrowing.com to get early news of our new project.
Thank you to our sponsors. You can help keep RowingChat going by visiting our sponsors websites www.rowing.chat/sponsors
This month RowingChat is supported by
- Rowing Stronger book second edition by Will Ruth – download a free first chapter rowing.chat/sponsor/rowing-stronger-book/
- RowTours the new rowing holiday company headed by Olympian, Pete Wells. Join the RowTours team in a mini-rowing vacation ahead of the World Championships. Choose from a 3, 4 or 6 day rowing tour down the Danube river starting in Passau and ending at Linz in time for the World Rowing Championships.
More information and pricing at www.rowtours.com/rowing-chat