Ready, Row! USA #14: Going Coastal!
Welcome to the spring season of the Ready, Row! USA podcast, as we continue weekly broadcasts featuring the best of rowing news, gadgets & gear from clubs, vendors, and rowers across the country.
Ready, Row! USA is part of the international RowingChat network. You can subscribe to receive notifications of upcoming shows, send in news tips, and join our community by visiting the website.
Your host and producer, Charlotte Pierce. Our studio director is Nancy Diessner, and we both row out of Community Rowing in Boston. With us today is Ben Booth of Rebel Rowing in Westport, MA and a national authority on the rapidly expanding sport of Coastal Rowing.
NOTE: Please listen for the episode hashtag and a chance to win a Coastal Rowing outing with Ben Booth of Rebel Rowing!
Please check out our fabulous sponsors! Watch or listen for discount codes or visit Rowing.Chat/sponsors.
- Mind Games by Annie Vernon, sports psychology book
- Rose & Thorne the Active Bra with built-in confidence
- JustStrong athletic gear, especially for women
- What is Coastal Rowing, how is it different from our beloved sport of sculling, and are we all going to need to buy new boats (YES!)?
- Is this like the Viking galleys? 😉 Nope, still sculling, but more robust boat, oars
- Just catching on in US, been a while in Europe and UK
- Who can Coastal Row? Only the very strong and supremely fit?
- Flat water to 4’ swells – it’s all available for variety of levels, mellow to wild
- Where in the US is Coastal available? Directory?
- Link: World Rowing
- Regattas – Where to get boats? Who will be entering?
- 1. Sarasota https://www.sarasotacoastalrowingassociation.com
- 2. Blackburn Challenge http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/BBC_Race_Info.html
- 3. Lighthouse to Lighthouse https://www.lighthousetolighthouse.org
- 4. San Francisco https://gobair.org/coastal-rowing
- Olympics/Jr. Olympics/World Championships
- Jr. Olympics doesn’t have regular rowing race course, so rowing will have to be Coastal
- Some junior programs starting up at the CR centers
- More info: http://www.worldrowing.com/coastal/
- Beyond racing – coastal rowing as lifestyle/beach life/surf life
- Ben Booth links:
Submit your rowing news, share your favorite gadgets & gear!
Our regular contributors are Mark Wilson, the longtime coach who runs the All American Rowing Camp in DeLand, Florida; and Ellen Minzner, US Rowing’s HP Para Director and Director of Inclusion & Advocacy at Community Rowing in Boston.
- Host/Producer: Charlotte Pierce, Pierce Press
- Correspondent: Mark Wilson, All-American Rowing Camp
- Correspondent: Ellen Minzner, Community Rowing
- Executive Producer: Rebecca Caroe, Rowing.Chat
- Studio Director: Nancy Diessner, CRI Sculler and Artist