Ready, Row! USA #32: All about the CLUBS!
Is your rowing club a Bud Light, a Red Hook Pale Ale, or a Dom Perignon? What do you love about your club, what makes it special? What works well, what are your challenges? Today, we’re touring rowing clubs across the size and feature spectrum, from startup, to rower-driven, to water-launch, to established clubs with posh boathouses. We’ll give examples that listeners and our crew have knowledge of, including 1) small, established; 2) new/basic; 3) wel-heeled clubs. Send in yours for our next Club Spotlight!
THE TOPIC AT HAND:
CLUB SPOTLIGHT: Upper Valley Rowing, Community Rowing, Greater Dayton Rowing Association, LaBaie Verte Rowing, Traverse Area Community Rowing, Lookout Rowing Club, Oak Ridge Rowing Association, Salt Spring Island Rowing, Vashon Island Rowing. If you’d like to spotlight your club, it’s not too late to submit it for a future spotlight! Please use our forms linked in these show notes for Club News and Gadgets & Gear and listen for the Episode Hashtag for a chance to win rowing gear & services!
Thanks again to our fabulous SPONSORS!
OAR INSPIRED: Thanks to Des and the team at OarInspired, we’ve got a special offer this month for RowingChat listeners. Get 20% off your purchase of a GoPro mount for a rowing boat using the coupon “rowingchat” There is nothing like a good video to help in training or crew debriefing, but getting the right camera position and angle can be challenging. Oar Inspired‘s new camera mount will let you position your camera at the level and angle to capture all the action.
RANDALL FOILS: Digging deep under the water with your oars is a challenge for many athletes. Canny canny engineer, Ian Randall, has come up with a solution that both prevents digging and also makes a boat go faster. Launched during 2019, these ingenious devices are glued or taped onto the top edge of your oar. They are a right angled attachment which helps the top of the oar remain near the water surface. You can see they are quite thick pieces of material. The design allows the same length foil to fit onto a sweep or a sculling oar.
- Watch or listen, and use it on social media for a chance to win rowing gear & services!
- Our first-ever Wacky Wednesday on Oct. 2! with some of the crazy stuff we love to do in rowing; plus Coastal Rowing, Fall Edition; a special Gadgets & Gear on Oct. 9; and US Rowing Convention preview.
Make It Your Show!
- No club is too small, too new, or too old; no gadget too cheap or too elaborate. Let us know if you’d like to come on the show and showcase your rowing club or demonstrate your gadget; or send in a photo or video clip! Submit news on our CLUB NEWS FORM and tell us about your favorite gadgets, gear & hacks on our GADGETS & GEAR FORM!
Podcast Production Credits
- Executive Producer: Rebecca Caroe, Rowing.Chat
- Producer: Charlotte Pierce, Pierce Press
- Associate Producer: Tara Morgan, Seize the Oar and Vashon Is. RC
- Senior Correspondent: Mark Wilson, All-American Rowing Camp
- Correspondent: Ryan Worth, UTC Rowing | Swift Boats and Accessories
- Correspondent: Alison Pollini, Carnegie Lake Rowing
Ready, Row! USA is part of the international RowingChat network. Subscribe at Rowing.Chat to receive notifications of upcoming shows, send in news tips, and join our community on this website and on our YouTube channel. The producer of Ready, Row! USA is Charlotte Pierce; associate producer is Tara Morgan; our senior correspondent is Mark Wilson; and our executive producer is Rebecca Caroe of Rowing.Chat international podcast network. Ryan Worth and Alison Pollini serve as regular contributors, episode producers, & hosts. Our director is behind the scenes, selecting your questions and comments for discussion by our panelists, so keep ‘em coming via the YouTube channel or our Club News or Gadgets & Gear submission forms! All these links and more are on these Show Notes and on our blog. SPONSORS: OarInspired, Randall Foils, Pierce Press, All-American Rowing Camp, Seize the Oar Foundation.