Ready, Row! USA #19: “Catching” a Career in Rowing
Welcome to another exciting episode of the Ready, Row! USA podcast, as we continue regular broadcasts featuring the best of rowing news, gadgets & gear from clubs,companies, and rowers across the country. Ready, Row! USA is part of the international RowingChat network. You can subscribe to receive notifications of upcoming shows, send in news tips, and join our community by visiting the website.
Your host for today, Mark Wilson, makes his living running the All-American Rowing Camp in DeLand, Florida. In this episode, he talks with “Max Rigging” himself, Mike Davenport, and with world record holder and Olympian Grace Luczak, athlete for Hydrow, the live outdoor reality rower, who literally rows for a living. I mean, really! That’s her job.
The producer of Ready, Row! USA is Charlotte Pierce; today’s director is our regular correspondent and frequent host, Tara Morgan; our graphics expert and researcher is artist and sculler Nancy Diessner; and our executive producer is Rebecca Caroe.
Just Strong technical athletic gear for women: Mind Games, a book of elite athletic strategies for everyone by Annie Vernon;
and Rose & Thorne active bras to bring confidence into the boat (click through for special RRUSA deals)
- Full-time in rowing-related activities: consulting, presentations, writing
- Boatman for multiple US National teams and 1996 Olympic team
- Have written 6 books about rowing equipment and rigging; currently writing CoachHood, my next book
- 36 years of coaching college and high school
- Stanford University Grad, American Olympic Rower & Hydrow Athlete
- World Record holder, one current in the women’s 8+ set in 2013 and former for the U23 women’s 2-. 3x World Champion and 6x National Champion with USA crews
- Passionate about finding the “stress-less” factors in a rowing career
- Discovered Hydrow, which provides an opportunity for athletes to train while also working full-time
- “The power of team” blog by Becca: https://hydrow.com/blog/the-power-of-team/
- Trainer bio page: https://hydrow.com/experience/
- Olympic Rings : https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu1bvu4lMRZ/?igshid=1k0syp3y0webd
- Olympic Warmup: https://www.instagram.com/p/BItUjItg-me/?igshid=1tvzi4kdsanvg
- USA flag during Olympic processing : https://www.instagram.com/p/BIgNx6lgEG4/?igshid=1mmyqrubwop55
- Olympic bus loading : https://www.instagram.com/p/BIgOMkEA7kU/?igshid=13fejidkak85i
- Female trainers, talking to junior rowers, silly coworkers diving after lost cameras, crew: https://www.instagram.com/p/Btovu2LFjH5/?igshid=1e1pkabqt0enf
- training trip to London in March : https://www.instagram.com/p/ButnuiGlwnL/?igshid=1wjln6xe6rocc
- Is it Monday? : https://www.instagram.com/p/ByitHHCF5Qr/?igshid=j9g1xqkflv34
- 1x in Boston : https://www.instagram.com/p/BxOMfZRFbcX/?igshid=tjw8napz68eu
- 2x, Miami : https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYUOODlCYG/?igshid=ez9phvu2wq2t
- 1x Miami Bay: https://www.instagram.com/p/BthoTzslin8/?igshid=1vk6q709tyq4t
Additional Background on Grace Luczak:
- After the 2016 Olympics, Grace reached a point in life where she needed to start a career outside of rowing. She accepted a full-time consulting position at management consulting firm, EY, still keeping the idea of coming back for another Olympic run in mind. She soon realized how much of a challenge it was to train and stay fit while working full-time, and needed to find a place to train that could provide the “stress-less factors” of full time training – money for food and rent, health insurance, access to physical therapy, a nutritionist, and coaching and teammates
- Grace discovered Hydrow’s booth at the Head of the Charles Regatta and learned about how the start-up was offering a training environment specifically for athletes in exchange for being on-screen trainers leading live, on-water workouts that would then be streamed to a 22-inch screen on the Hydrow rower. Working with Hydrow has provided Grace the “stress-less factors” necessary to get back on the path to another Olympics
- Currently receiving year-round, on-water training as a Hydrow athlete, with spring, summer, and fall on the Charles River, and winter months in Miami, Florida. Grace can also talk about her daily schedule/life as an athlete at Hydrow and how she finds balance.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN NEWS!
EPISODE PRODUCTION CREDITS:
- Executive Producer: Rebecca Caroe, Rowing.Chat
- Producer: Charlotte Pierce, Pierce Press
- Host: Mark Wilson, All-American Rowing Camp
- Director: Tara Morgan, Seize the Oar and Vashon Is. RC
- Research & Graphics: Nancy Diessner, CRI Sculler and Artist
Subscribe to our mailing list
Please select all the ways you would like to hear from RowingChat:
You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.
We use MailChimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to MailChimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices here.