Ready, Row! USA #9 – Rowing News with Jim Dietz
Welcome to the spring season of the Ready, Row! USA podcast. As the frozen North slowly thaws and flooded rivers drop back into their banks, we’re chock-full of news about spring rowing at clubs across the country, plus the latest from US Rowing. We’re producing weekly podcasts through April, regularly on Tuesdays at 11 am, with the exception being April 23 at 7 p.m. when we’ll interview speaker and longtime masters women’s coach Reba Knickerbocker of Bend the Blade in Northampton, Mass.
Ready, Row! USA #9 – 4.9.2019
- Jim Dietz Talks US Rowing
- Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2019
WATCH LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsD0Oy2i2M
OUR FABULOUS SPONSORS, thank you, thank you!
- RowTours international rowing adventures http://www.Rowtours.com/rowing-chat
- Just Strong athletic clothing & accessories for women: https://juststrong.com (use REBCAROE10 for 10% off)
- Host/Producer: Charlotte Pierce, Pierce Press
- Guest: Jim Dietz, All American Rowing Camp & UMass
- Contributor: Ellen Minzner, US Para Rowing Coach, & CRI Coach
- Contributor: Mark Wilson, All American Rowing Camp
- Executive Producer: Rebecca Caroe, Rowing.Chat
HIGHLIGHTS from JIM DIETZ:
- Recap of the San Diego Crew Classic
- Coastal Sculling – It’s legit sculling! and it’s stable! Good for beginners to advanced rowers, even those who pursue other types of rowing.
- Upcoming Coastal (check Regatta Central frequently)
- June 1 Provincetown – Provincetown Head Coastal Race
- Other Coastal Fans – Rebel Rowing, Norwalk CT (Ben Booth)
- International Races – Montreal, Europe
- Why sculling & coastal for Masters? Balance, low impact, healthy lifestyle, enjoy outdoors. Good for juniors also – helps youth develop a balanced body, avoid injuries. In Europe, they start with sculling for this reason.
- Jim’s rowing yarn/story – Why are oar blades so thick? (Might not be the reason you think!) Watch to the end for the answer!
Your host and producer is Charlotte Pierce. With us today is correspondent Jim Dietz, Olympian and longtime coach at places like UMass Amherst, Coast Guard Academy. Jim is also co-founder and coach at the All American Rowing Camp in DeLand, Florida.
Club members, admins, rowers of all kinds – send in your news!
- LINKS FROM THIS SHOW:
- OUR NETWORK: https://rowing.chat/ready-row-usa
- SPONSOR: https://rowtours.com
- SPONSOR: https://juststrong.com
- US COASTAL: https://coastalrowingusa.com/
- NE COASTAL: https://rebelrower.com/blog
- ROW OPEN WATER NE: http://rowopenwaterne.com/events/
- REGATTA LISTINGS: https://www.regattacentral.com/
- SD CREW CLASSIC: https://crewclassic.org
- NATIONAL ORG https://usrowing.org
- JIM DIETZ: http://allamericanrowingcamp.com
- JIM DIETZ: https://umassathletics.com/staff.aspx?staff=102
- HOST/PRODUCER: https://piercepress.com
- HOST’S RC: https://communityrowing.org
- SUBMIT NEWS: https://forms.gle/eMJK8eQnzQd9Nhxm6
- APRIL 23: https://bendtheblade.com
CLUB NEWS HIGHLIGHT:
The CRI Spring Fundraising Gala 2019 on May 9 benefits some amazing rowing programs for city youth, veterans, para and more. Contact Ella Buitrago at 617-659-1732 or visit https://communityrowing.org.
SUBMIT YOUR OWN ROWING AND CLUB NEWS! https://forms.gle/eMJK8eQnzQd9Nhxm6
Ready, Row! USA is part of the international RowingChat network. You can subscribe to receive notifications of upcoming shows, send in news tips, and join our community by visiting https://rowing.chat/ready-row-usa.