Ready, Row! USA #81: “A Most Beautiful Thing”
In this episode, you will meet the inspiring principals in the documentary “A Most Beautiful Thing” – Arshay Cooper, Alvin Ross, Preston Grandberry, Malcolm Hawkins, and Ray “Pookie G” Hawkins, and their first coach, Ken Alpart. The newly released film, directed by Olympic rower Mary Mazzio (50 Eggs Films), is drawing deep praise across the country. Boston rower Mona Granucci (#communityrowing) hosts this episode, produced by PiercePress.
The documentary explores the safety and brotherhood these young men found on the water (“we were in a place where we could not hear the sound of sirens”), as well as the trauma of violence and cyclical poverty that they endured first-hand. The documentary explores how these young men were able to support each other in re-imagining a different future for themselves, and how rowing and the water drew them to that opportunity. These young men came together, after 20 years out of the boat, to race this past summer, not only to celebrate the team’s founding, but the fact that they are still alive and thriving. This is their story.
Episode Links & Hashtags:
- About the film: 50Eggs Films site for A Most Beautiful Thing, the movie
- Action item: Donate to Pocock Foundation‘s A Most Beautiful Thing Fund, which supports programs and opportunities for young rowers of color.
- ReadyRowUSA Cast & Crew: Charlotte Copp, StationL Rowing Club; Kymberly Reynolds, Recovery on Water, Charlotte Pierce & Mona Granucci, Community Rowing Boston; Charlotte Pierce, Pierce Press (producer)
- Gadgets & Gear: Submit your favorite rowing widgets & gadgets HERE!
- Club News: Submit your club news HERE!
- Sponsor Deals & Discounts: CLICK HERE for the inside scoop on sponsors like NK Sports, and our Help Rowing Retailers Recover program!